31 March 2008

Man's Urban Cycling Jacket?


My husband has asked me for an urban cycling rain-resistant jacket. Over our morning bike date we came up with the following wishlist:
  1. Color: light enough to be seen in the city, but dark enough to resist bike grime
  2. Length: short to avoid getting caught in wheels (Burburry trench coat is out)
  3. Storage: possessing a pocket at the lower back, accessed with an invisible zipper
  4. Reflectiveness: possessing French-cuff style reflective flaps at the wrist, reflective tape under the collar so it will reflect when turned-up, and a reflective flap which would come down over his backside, at car headlight level
  5. Style: finally the jacket needs to do all this and look completely normal otherwise


What are we forgetting? Any other suggestions? Stay tuned for developments and photos.

6 comments:

JPTwins said...

You might have to leave out option #3 as that will make it look clearly like a biking jacket. I also think that based on your other posts, there will always be a bag somewhere and perhaps a breast pocket (a la Napolean Bonaparte) will be good to store cell phone. You can see those on some of the Arcteryx jackets.

As for color, i think a light grey or rust would be my preferences. And the reflector might have to be something you sew on.

I expect you'll be posting this once you find it, right?

Charlotte said...

I think we'll be able to do the pocket without it being TOO noticable - when I post a photo be sure to tell me what you think!

I also think that I'm going to have to make the jacket myself. So I'll show lots of photos!

I hadn't considered rust for the color but that's a good idea.

Anonymous said...

Re option #3 - Have you thought of a jacket with a belt included in the fabric of the coat? (a Norfolk Jacket for example). You could then include a pocket under an adjusted belt. It will be a bit 30's - but that could be cool!. Cuffs that flip up rather than down could be good.

Charlotte said...

I don't know about you Godfrey, but my problem when cycling is that by extending my arms to the handlebars I expose a lot of my forearm. By folding *down* a cuff I will have the reflective out when I'm on the bike AND have myself covered (essential in a Massachusetts winter).

Anonymous said...

Charlotte -
Spent a lot of time on your blog tonight.

Did you ever find a "urban cycling rain-resistant jacket" for your husband?

Just curious as, I can feel the rain coming here soon and need to find a suitable riding jacket.

- man

Charlotte said...

I have 4 yards of stretchy rain-resistant taupe fabric, but I haven't cut it out and sewn it up yet.

We haven't found anything in stores that comes close (yet).

When either of those things happen I promise to let you know!